Who doesn’t love tacos? Have you ever tried a healthier version using lentils? Lentils are a versatile legume providing fiber and protein to satisfy your craving and fill you up! I’ve used lentils to replace meat in various recipes but I most frequently make these lentil tacos. This is a quick, easy recipe that does not require very many ingredients.
You can use a taco seasoning packet but most of those have unnecessary added ingredients. Making your own is easy, just as tasty and then you know exactly what is in it. Again, I don’t believe in measuring my seasonings so feel free to play around with the amount of each seasoning to make it exactly how you want!
- 2 cups water or for more flavor use veggie broth or a combination of both
- 1 cup lentils
- Chili powder
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- Pink Himalayan salt
- Black Pepper
- Bring 2 cups of water/veggie broth and 1 cup of lentils to a boil
- Once boiling, turn to low heat and cover to simmer until the water/veggie broth is absorbed, stirring occasionally
- Add the seasonings: the chili powder should be at least double the other seasonings and then sprinkle the remaining seasonings as desired
- Serve with raw or cooked onions, peppers and jalapeños (or any other veggies) on a soft or hard tortilla shell and a bed of greens (or skip the shell and make it a taco salad)
- Top with your favorite taco sauce, hot sauce, salsa, guac or for more of a kick use Trader Joe’s jalapeño sauce