I was lucky enough to spend this weekend at the beautiful Won Dharma Center outside of Hudson, NY at a yoga therapy weekend retreat. This is one of three retreats I am required to complete in order to become a yoga therapist. (I may do the other two remotely, I am still undecided.) I am really glad I started with this particular retreat because its focus was on the innermost self. I have been needing some sort of boost to really get me going with this program.
There are two main reasons I selected this program (aside from the content):
- It is offered online, so if I decided, I could do the entire program from the comfort of my own home.
- It is a go at your own pace program. I love the flexibility this style provides me. With a busy and constantly changing schedule, I knew I couldn’t commit to very strict deadlines.
The downside to these two benefits is that you don’t HAVE to do anything for awhile if you don’t want to. And because it is not face to face, it is all on you to find the motivation to listen to the lectures, study and complete the assignments. Sometimes I’m the type of person that needs a little push and that is exactly what this weekend retreat did for me. It reminded me why I enrolled in this program in the first place. It also challenged my own practice and made me excited about learning more and sharing with others.
What I loved about this retreat:
- The center is absolutely beautiful; it is surrounded by colorful wildflowers and trees on rolling hills. Living right in the heart of a city, not having any sort of yard or outdoor space has been really difficult for me lately. It was refreshing to reconnect with nature’s beauty. Each day I was sure to spend time exploring the grounds, taking advantage of the many walking paths that are offered.
- The food! Anytime I eat a healthy and filling plant-based meal is great, but when I also don’t have to do anything to prepare it? Yeah, those are my favorite meals! I am so thankful for the nutrition and the effort that was put into each meal; everything was delicious.
- The topics we covered. Since this particular training was focused on the innermost self, it caused me to look inward, be honest with myself and start to unravel some deep rooted issues, something I will continue to work at. Not only did I get a better understanding of myself, I also learned many techniques to strengthen my personal practice, and to eventually use with my clients. I will blog more about what I learned in the future, once I’ve had time to review my notes and process it a bit more.
Reflecting back on this weekend (that went way too fast!), I am so grateful for this journey I am on and cannot wait to complete this program and begin sharing the benefits with others! Ask me about yoga therapy!